Family Members of L-1 Nonimmigrants

The spouse and unmarried minor children of L-1 nonimmigrants are eligible to apply for and receive L-2 nonimmigrant visas (or status). The five (5) and seven (7) year limitations associated with a principals L-1 nonimmigrant status on admission to and extensions of status also apply to spouses and children. Once a child attains the age of twenty-one (21), or gets married, he is no longer eligible to remain in the U.S. in an L-2 nonimmigrant status.

A spouse is eligible to apply for and receive employment authorization. The application for employment authorization must be filed with the USCIS Service Center that has jurisdiction over the spouse's place of residence.

This guide was developed by Meyers & Meyers, LLP as a resource to help you understand some aspects of Immigration Law, which is very complex. It is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. We recommend you contact one of our experienced Immigration Attorneys to devise an individualized plan to help you and/or your company achieve your goals. Please contact Meyers & Meyers, LLP at [email protected] for assistance.

Albany Office
1734 Western Avenue
Albany, NY 12203

Albany Law Office Map

Saratoga Springs Office
Wise Building
60 Railroad Place, Suite 100
Saratoga Springs, NY 12866

Map & Directions