Family Members of E Nonimmigrants

The spouse and unmarried minor children accompanying or following to join an E-1 or E-2 principal treaty trader or investor may enter the United States in the same classification as their spouse or parent. Importantly, the nationality of the spouse or child is not material to the classification of the spouse or child. Once a child attains the age of twenty-one (21), or gets married, he is no longer eligible to remain in the U.S. in a treaty status.

The spouse of the E nonimmigrant treaty trader or investor may work in the U.S. provided they apply for an Employment Authorization Document ("EAD") from USCIS. The spouse cannot begin employment until the EAD is actually received. The application for employment authorization should be submitted to the USCIS Service Center that has jurisdiction over the dependent spouse's place of residence.

This guide was developed by Meyers & Meyers, LLP as a resource to help you understand some aspects of Immigration Law, which is very complex. It is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. We recommend you contact one of our experienced Immigration Attorneys to devise an individualized plan to help you and/or your company achieve your goals. Please contact Meyers & Meyers, LLP at [email protected] for assistance.

Albany Office
1734 Western Avenue
Albany, NY 12203

Albany Law Office Map

Saratoga Springs Office
Wise Building
60 Railroad Place, Suite 100
Saratoga Springs, NY 12866

Map & Directions