Family Members Of L-1 Nonimmigrants


The spouse and unmarried minor children of L-1 nonimmigrants are eligible to apply for and receive L-2 nonimmigrant visas (or status). The five (5) and seven (7) year limitations associated with a principals L-1 nonimmigrant status on admission to and extensions of status also apply to spouses and children. Once a child attains the age of twenty-one (21), or gets married, he is no longer eligible to remain in the U.S. in an L-2 nonimmigrant status.

A spouse is eligible to apply for and receive employment authorization. The application for employment authorization must be filed with the USCIS Service Center that has jurisdiction over the spouse’s place of residence.