Temporary (i.e., nonimmigrant) Visa Options

It is often much easier and typically quicker to obtain temporary permission to work in the United States, whereas most of the permanent employment-based options are much more time consuming. The temporary categories we will discuss are:

  1. H-1B Nonimmigrant Visa / Status
  2. TN Nonimmigrant Visa / Status
  3. E Nonimmigrant Visa / Status
  4. L Nonimmigrant Visa / Status
  5. O Nonimmigrant Visa / Status
  6. F Nonimmigrant Visa / Status

There are many more nonimmigrant options that may be available for a foreign national to come to the United States to work, perform an internship, receive training, and the like. Please contact our experienced attorneys for more information.

A note about nonimmigrant "visa" versus "status." A nonimmigrant "visa" is nothing more than a document signifying that a consular officer believes that the foreign national to whom the nonimmigrant visa was issued is eligible to apply for admission to the United States in a particular nonimmigrant category. Once the foreign national has been admitted to and has entered the United States on a particular nonimmigrant "visa", he will then be in the United States in that particular nonimmigrant "status".

This guide was developed by Meyers & Meyers, LLP as a resource to help you understand some aspects of Immigration Law, which is very complex. It is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. We recommend you contact one of our experienced Immigration Attorneys to devise an individualized plan to help you and/or your company achieve your goals. Please contact Meyers & Meyers, LLP at [email protected] for assistance.

Albany Office
1734 Western Avenue
Albany, NY 12203

Albany Law Office Map

Saratoga Springs Office
Wise Building
60 Railroad Place, Suite 100
Saratoga Springs, NY 12866

Map & Directions