Permanent employment-based immigration categories include the following:
- Priority workers, which include: persons of extraordinary ability; outstanding professors and researchers; and multinational organization executives and managers.
- Members of the professions holding advanced degrees or persons of exceptional ability.
- Professionals; skilled workers; and other workers.
- Certain Special Immigrants (e.g., Religious Workers).
- Employment Creation (e.g., immigrant investors).
Most of the employment-based immigration categories noted above require a U.S. employer to petition for the foreign national. Some of the categories (e.g., employment creation, aliens of extraordinary ability) do allow a foreign national to self-petition.